[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
WFD Talk • View topic - Harvard University studies WFD

Harvard University studies WFD

Harvard University studies WFD

Postby WFD Teamster » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:30 am

Harvard University Releases Medical Study on WFD-World's Fastest Drummer
There's a series of medical studies coming out from Harvard University on WFD see below links

Rise rate and timing variability of surface electromyographic activity
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22063300

Wrist flexor and extensor muscles of the world's fastest drummer.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22414865

Tapping performance and underlying wrist muscle activity
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19409958
WFD Teamster
Administrator

Re: Harvard University studies WFD

Postby Drumnosis » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:08 pm

Just reading these now. Amazing stuff.
Drumnosis

Postby sfujii » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:58 am

Hi All,

I am Shinya Fujii, the author of the research papers on the WFD. The study was performed when I was in Japan at Kyoto University and The University of Tokyo. Right now, I am continuing my research on expert drummers at Harvard Medical School in Boston. I am studying how the brains of drummers are different from those of non-drummers. If there are any professional drummers who would like to participate in my study, please contact me (sfujiiATbidmc.harvard.edu). Participation will involve performing some drumming tasks and also undergoing a non-invasive MRI brain scan.

Thanks so much.

Shinya Fujii
sfujii

Postby JoeyM » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:46 pm

Shinya, Ive been wanting to do a study like this for a long time, Im currently in talks with Sydney university about a Bio Mechanics study.

My two main questions are ; 1. How fast is the signal being sent by the brain for each stroke at that speed?

2. How fast does the brain react to a mistake and corrects it during a speed run? E.g sticks clashing and the drummer losing control.

Good work and good luck. I wish i was there to be a part of this.
Joey 'Thunda from down Unda' Moujalli
JoeyM

Postby Drumnosis » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:52 am

This is really exciting stuff! Shinya do you mind if I tweet about this?
Drumnosis

Postby sfujii » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:50 pm

Hi Joey: Based-on my study, wrist flexor and extensor muscles are alternately activated by the brain about every 50 msec to achieve the world’s fastest performance. On the other hand, non-drummers and normal drummers seemed to activate the wrist muscles alternately about every 75 msec during the maximum-speed drumming performance (for more detail, see my papers). We don’t know yet on how fast the brain reacts to a mistake of the drumming. It might be interesting to see the brain responses using EEG (Electroencephalogram) in future studies.

Hi Drumnosis: I am glad if you could tweet about my study. I am looking for drummers who could participate in my study at Harvard.

Thanks!

Shinya
sfujii

Postby Boo » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:58 am

Boo
Team WFD

Return to General Discussion