[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
WFD Talk • View topic - Practice

Practice

Practice

Postby bigband56 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:18 pm

Hi All,
I am new to the site and Boo shared it with me. Took up drums late in life and have been playing now for about 4+years. Love the extreme drumming you all do! Wanted to share one of my many routines to build my chops. Am getting close to 1000+ single strokes in one minute and also, 1000+ strokes via paradiddles in one minute. No short strokes either if you notice. Full strokes.
One thing about drumming as you all know, there ain't no shortcuts! You got to put in yor time. Looking forward to learning from you all so any hints you have, please share with me.
Nick Stefano
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uhuq5smgYXQ
bigband56

Re: Practice

Postby WFD Teamster » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:33 pm

Really nice workout. What is that you are playing on? Looks liek a snare drum, I see the hoppe tension rods. Is the drumometer on and what is the rubber band around the drumometer doing? Show us a 100 stroke run when you can that would be terrific! Not many in the '1000 club'.
WFD Teamster
Administrator

Postby bigband56 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:46 am

Joe Morello used this Sabien practice pad when I took a lesson with him. GOD rest his soul. That is what it is. Called the "Sabien Quiet Tone". I liked it because of the feel and size. Been working on getting the drumometer trigger to work on this pad also. But, for now, it's only the drumometer that is the "official" reading. The elastic band on drumometer pad was just there doing nothing. Had it on something else prior. I used my Tama metronome on the 250 setting as you can hear the difference in audio tone. When i went to 275 and 300, I used the Drumometer setting of the metronome you see. Tama doesn't go that high. If you saw the vid in HD, it clearly shows the settings. May see the 275 and 300 if you look close but lower quality for uploading vid distorts some.
I did this one here with heavy marching band stix some months ago. Will vid again next week or so. Both singles and paradiddles. You mad-men players out there are really helpful. thanks!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9Gq-ktUeDA
bigband56

Postby WFD Teamster » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:58 am

I have never heard of those pads and thank you for the info. I will check them out. Looks like it is tuneable. What type playing surface maerial is it. I mean like a drum head or what. 14" like a snare drum?

Please post a paradiddle run when you can. Does anyone remember the WFD paradiddle record? Is it Eric Okamoto? What's the score?

Really good hands to pull that height off in the clip. :)
WFD Teamster
Administrator

Postby bigband56 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:48 pm

I am not sure of the material head, but it does feel more like a snare. I also practice on a Remo practice pad with little bounce. Great for developing chops.
Here is a vid you requested of me doing some paradiddles.
This portion on drum.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxot7STE-uc

And this portion on Drumometer. My best to date was 935 in one minute.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zo63HfdaVwM
bigband56

Postby Boo » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:03 am

Boo
Team WFD

Postby JoeyM » Wed May 02, 2012 6:12 pm

Very good, I like your routine. Remember to gain speed you need to slow down sometimes. Are you going to NAMM? Would love to hang out
Joey 'Thunda from down Unda' Moujalli
JoeyM

Postby bigband56 » Thu May 03, 2012 7:40 am

Hi JoeyM. Thanks for the reply. Next NAMM show I am going for sure. And thanks for the advice. I am learning from all of you out there. It is appreciated.
I did break 1,000 strokes by way of paradiddles on March 9th. However, just done at home and not a WFD sanctioned event. So, need to go into one.
Funny you mentioned playing slow because that is what i have been focusing on lately. Trying to get perfect timing etc. Drumming is so much fun!
Thanks again!
Nick
ps see you at NAMM!
bigband56

Postby WFD Teamster » Sat May 12, 2012 6:48 pm

bigband56 your scores are very impressive! Are you coming to WFD World Finals this coming july in Nashville Tn ?
WFD Teamster
Administrator

Postby bigband56 » Mon May 14, 2012 6:55 am

Am debating on whether to attend NAMM in Nashville. Will make a decision in next few weeks. Nick
bigband56

Postby 2xbdrumn » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:55 am

bigband56 did you end up going and if so how was it, how did you do?
2xbdrumn

Postby bigband56 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:35 pm

i did go but played bad. a week earlier at home did a 1022. out there, only a 948 i believe. i blame it on myself with timing warm ups improperly. NO EXCUSES! but, it was so good to meet boo and his lovely wife and all the other "cats" out there. i will for sure go in again. one learns from their mistakes. i am amazed at the talent the younger ones have today.
sincerely,
nick
bigband56

Postby SpencerD » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:13 pm

It's good to know that I wasn't the only one who was a bit dissapointed by my final scores haha. Wasn't expecting to only get 862, more like 900 or something
SpencerD

Postby 2xbdrumn » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:32 am

haha well 948 and 862 are nothing to feel bad about believe me you. i've read a lot over the years about the coniditions of the real deal at finals contest is just way different than practice at home. did you guys find thsi to be the case first hand?
2xbdrumn

Postby SpencerD » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:36 pm

Yeah, the drumometer at the contest is easier to play on than the one I have at my house (more rebound). Also, at the contest you usually don't know when your turn to do the final run is, therefore, it's hard to time your warm up. If you ever go to WFD, don't warm up for too long because it can mess with your final scores. It dropped me from 939 down to 862..so yeah.
SpencerD

Postby bigband56 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:09 am

The drumometer pad for sure has a "different" feel. Some seem to have more rebound then others. I was actually trying to get the trigger mechnism to work on other pads. However, my initial test prove negative as the numbers were not accurate (to high). But, i think i know what i need to do. Hey, it's all good and a lot of fun!
bigband56

Postby Boo » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:36 am

Boo
Team WFD

Postby bigband56 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:24 am

Hey Boo! Was just talking about you yesterday. I will resend article to you. The answer to your question is yes and no. Yes, i got it to work but, the counters registered high. I video recorded it and played back in slow motion to confirm. So, will move trigger around and add more "cushion". Will get it to work for you and let you know. As you know, we can not have any artificially induced "strikes" on the pad. Has to be on the money!
May be coming down that way again in late fall. If so, will for sure get together. The guys are all cool that i met. You got a great group of drummers Boo. Excellent job!
Sending article to your email address.
Nick
bigband56

Postby Boo » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:28 am

Nick is it ok if i post the article her at WFDTalk? Understood if it's some publishing conflict etc.....
Boo
Team WFD

Postby bigband56 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:28 am

sure, why not. i just hope it inspires drummers of all ages!
bigband56

Postby 2xbdrumn » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:47 pm

bigband56, are you going for wfd this year 2013? you did finish 2-3 last year right?
2xbdrumn

Postby WFD Teamster » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:46 pm

WFD Teamster
Administrator

Return to Drumometer